Studying abroad and living in a different country is an exciting opportunity, and many questions arise for students and parents alike when considering a study abroad program. We hope to address the most common questions. If you were unable to get an answer to your question, please contact the Study Abroad Coordinator.


Is a study abroad program expensive?

Costs vary widely depending on the kind and duration of program, and the Herbert College of Agriculture and the Programs Abroad Office both work to keep expenses as reasonable as possible. Students traveling for educational purposes, do so relatively inexpensively because of group rates for transportation and other expenses. Our advice is to initially not focus on costs but to determine the type of program you want and then consult funding resources that can help you meet your study abroad goal.  It is also important to realize that almost without exception, students who study abroad indicate that it was the most significant and meaningful experience of their entire college experience, while additional costs are only a small percentage of their overall financial investment in college.  


Will studying abroad delay graduation?

No, not if your study abroad program is planned early and carefully. Many programs run in the summer, and semester abroad programs can be planned so that students do not have to delay their graduation.  Herbert, the student advisors, and the UT Programs Abroad Office all work together to make your program meaningful and fit your degree requirements. 
When is the best time to study abroad? 
Although sophomore or junior years may work best for most, you can participate at any time in your college career.  The earlier you explore study abroad possibilities, the better it will fit into your college program.  Talk with Study Abroad Coordinator and your advisor to better understand how study abroad can fit into your academic program.  


What about health and safety? 

Student health and safety are our first concerns.  Although risk is inherent in any travel, the University has policies and practices in place to make your study abroad participation as safe as possible. View these policies and procedures at UT Center for International Education's Health & Safety Web site.


What can I study, who are my teachers? 

This will vary, depending on the type of study abroad program that students select. Herbert led short-term programs are taught by Herbert faculty, while some field study programs and internships are coordinated by other entities. Specific answers to these questions will be answered by talking with your advisor and Study Abroad Coordinator


Will I need to speak a foreign language?

Not unless that's part of your goal. Most programs are offered in English, although some students who are minoring in a foreign language choose to study where they can integrate foreign language competence into their experience.


What about passports, visas and other requirements?

Virtually every country requires a passport for entry, and some also require a visa, especially for long-term programs. Virtually every country requires a passport for entry, and many also require a visa. Be sure your passport dates include the beginning and end of your expected abroad experience. Passports and visas take time to get, so start early in obtaining them. The Department of State has a web page for passports and visas. The UT Programs Abroad Office can also help with this kind of question.