Student/Advisor Guide

Massey is a multi-campus University and one of New Zealand’s largest universities with 37,000 students of which 20,000 are on-line students.   The Manawatu campus in Palmerston North is the largest campus, is the primary agricultural campus of New Zealand and is the only university in the country to have a Veterinary School accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.  Both Massey and UTK are part of ISEP opening the possibility for exchange programs as well as direct enroll.   Palmerston North is a regional center in the North Island and has a population of about 80,000 people.  There are numerous outdoor activities within a couple of hours from the city including those associated with the ocean, alpine areas, and park and forested lands.

Housing and other services:



There are multiple study areas for study abroad and exchange students at Massey University. The university’s agricultural programs are a good match for Herbert students, and there are multiple degree options related to Agriculture and Natural Resources  Most undergraduate courses (called papers) at Massey earn 15 credits and transfer to UTK as a three-hour course. All of the courses (papers) for majors related to Herbert College of Agriculture's degrees are in the College of Science with the exception of Food Technology, which is in the College of Health.  Papers (courses) at Massey have six digits ( and there are multiple papers related to Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal, and Environmental subject areas. Using the Paper Search is the best way to search for courses during the semester for which you are planning your study abroad.  Click on the “Search for a paper” from the menu on the left and then work through the options:

  • Choose your campus of interest (Manawatu generally).
  • The College, normally the College of Sciences--or Health for Food Technology--or another college for electives.
  • The semester, one is the first semester of the academic year beginning in mid-July, and two is the second beginning toward the end of February (See
    semester dates on the left).
  • Choose “All” for the level, as this will give you all the courses in your subject area.
  • Choose “Internal” Mode," which signifies that you want to take the paper on campus rather than distance or other.
  • Make your choice of subject area and calendar year.
  • When finished, click on the blue search symbol on the first line under the Paper Search over to the right.

For questions about courses that you can take to meet curriculum requirements for your degree, see your advisor or yourdepartment’s international advisor or the Herbert Study Abroad Coordinator. For questions regarding transfer credits, general information about Massey University or questions about UTK study abroad process requirements contact the Programs Abroad Office at the University of Tennessee.